Animal Attendants x 2 (32 hours & 40 hours)
About the role:
The Animal Attendant role includes being responsible for assisting with incoming animals and the general care of the animals. This including feeding, cleaning and administering medication, monitoring animal health and behaviour, dealing with enquiries regarding adoptions and coordinating volunteers working in the animal areas. The successful applicant will also be able to create a friendly and helpful first impression for our customers and suppliers as they contact by phone or step inside our doors and be able to assist with enquiries as required.
In your application, please state whether you'd prefer the 32 hour, or the 40 hour position.
What we can offer you:
- Making an actual difference to New Zealand’s animals
- Working with a team of highly skilled and passionate people
- Getting involved in the local community with the welfare and education of animals
What we need from you:
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Have excellent communication and customer service skills, with the ability to manage stress and handle emotional situations while retaining empathy.
- Be a self-motivated team player, who is enthusiastic and passionate about animal welfare.
- Be a quick thinker who is skilled at multi-tasking.
- Demonstrated strengths in accuracy, precision and attention to detail.
- Proficient use in MS Word and Outlook.
- The ability to manage confidential information with responsibility and integrity.
- The ability to work in the field which requires a good degree of physical fitness and be comfortable working outside in all weather conditions.
- Have an excellent work ethic.
- A clean, full driver’s license.
- Have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and must have a love for working with both people and animals.
- Have the ability to work weekends.
- Having practical animal-handling experience/knowledge and a sound understanding of animal behaviour, would be advantageous.
- Previous experience in the animal care/welfare industry would be advantageous.
Who we are:
SPCA is one of the best loved and most respected charities in New Zealand, with a proud history of helping animals in need and advocating for animal welfare since 1872. Does this sound like the ideal role for you? If you match the above criteria, please apply now! To find out more about us, please visit www.spca.nz/about
Applications without a cover letter stating why you feel you are suited to this role, will NOT be considered. Applications close Sunday 2 July, but may close sooner.
For a copy of the Job Description visit Animal-Attendant-PD-2023.pdf