Calf Rearer / Relief Farm Technician - Seasonal opportunity
LIC have been providing innovative farming solutions for over 100 years, and today, we're proudly NZ's leading Agri-tech and dairy herd improvement cooperative. We are a part of a wider NZ Inc. and play a key role in driving economic growth in NZ. We achieve this through our world-renowned genetics and technology products, which create more sustainable and profitable farms.
About the Role
We have an opportunity to join our Innovation Farm, supporting during the calving season. This seasonal position involves providing care and support for all calves, as well as assisting with various farm tasks during staff rostered time off to ensure the smooth operation of our farm. You'll ensure the highest standards of animal welfare are always upheld and have a strong health and safety focus.
This is an approximately 3- month fixed-term opportunity (July - September), based in Rukuhia.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
- Feeding all calves according to a set schedule.
- Monitoring and reporting calf health and identifying any signs of illness or distress.
- Administering medications, vaccinations, and treatments as directed by the farm manager or veterinarian.
- Assisting with colostrum management and ensuring proper nutrition for calves.
- Maintaining clean and hygienic calf pens and equipment.
- Weaning and transitioning calves to solid feed.
- Assisting in efficient and hygienic milking routine.
- Carry out milk harvesting tasks as directed.
- Understands factors that affect milk quality, be able to identify health issues such as mastitis.
- Assisting with cleaning & maintain the milking plant and farm dairy equipment, report any faults to senior staff
- Assisting with general farm duties such as feeding and collecting calves, shifting stock.
- Maintain farm equipment and report any issues or repairs needed.
- Assist with research projects on farm when required.
The ideal candidate should have a genuine passion for animal welfare, possess excellent organisational skills, and be comfortable working in a physically demanding environment. You'll will also confidentially demonstrate:
- Prior experience working with livestock, especially calves.
- Knowledge of calf rearing techniques, health issues, and nutritional requirements.
- Ability to follow instructions and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Physical stamina and ability to work in various weather conditions.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Attention to detail and strong observation skills.
- Effective communication and teamwork abilities.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and tasks on the farm.
- Willingness to learn and implement new farming practices and technologies.
The farm is an innovation / learning farm and as such interaction with the contractors and LIC staff will be expected as part of this, so you'll draw on your strong interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
The role provides the opportunity to join a progressive organisation, at the cutting edge of agri-tech, where you'll play a role in driving the future of dairy in NZ.
Click apply to submit your application online.
Job Code: 44762
Applications Close: 16 June 2023