Job Title: Veterinarian Reliever (VTS Reliever)
Role type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: South Taranaki or Wanganui
Salary range: From $103,069 to $128,836 per annum plus additional benefits.
Starting salary will be dependent on skills and experience of the successful applicant.
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
Verification Services core purpose is to deliver independent, cost effective and high-quality verification, certification and inspection, and clearances programmes that meet all regulatory requirements. MPI Verification Services (MPI VS) provides a range of food safety and biosecurity verification and certification services to at least 2000 processing companies across New Zealand (for example, meat, seafood, game and dairy), the export meat sector accounts for 80% of the Verification Service's activities.
The role is based in the South Taranaki location within Whanganui Establishments team. A Whanganui base could also be an option. This role would primarily involve relieving at premises within the team (which covers from Whanganui to Stratford) and in neighbouring Manawatu locations. You may also be occasionally required to travel to other regions. An MPI fleet vehicle will be provided for work related travel and a mobile phone.
The role is varied, and you will be expected to do the following:
- Collaborate well with internal and external stakeholders, such as meat works personnel, Veterinary colleagues/VS team;
- Verify that requirements and procedures are being followed;
- Provide certification for animal meat exports;
- Complete ante mortem inspections and occasionally provide judgement on post-mortem inspection;
- Maintain knowledge within the farming communities and be involved in on farm verification;
- Ensure animal welfare is being maintained.
You will receive six to eight weeks of technical training prior to being warranted under the relevant legislation. We have ongoing, on-site training, mentoring and technical support for you in your new role.
Mō te peka - About the Branch
The role sits within the Establishment group of the Verification Services directorate. MPI Verification Services (MPI VS) provides a range of food safety and biosecurity verification and certification services to support market access strategies and setting standards.
Taranaki is an award-winning tourist destination, with stunning beaches & natural landscapes, great communities and facilities. Whanganui is New Zealand's largest town, with a wonderful climate & relatively affordable housing. It has great schools and local amenities, with thriving Arts & Sporting scenes. There is the river & beaches on your doorstep, with it also being an easy drive to New Plymouth (2hrs), Taupo (3hrs), Mt Ruapehu (1.45hrs), Palmerston North (1hr) & Wellington (3hrs).
Mōu - About You
The role is best suited to someone who is experienced in premises verification and who is organised and flexible as well as able to take the initiative to get tasks done. However all qualified candidates will be considered.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a New Zealand registered Veterinarian (or be able to obtain registration with VCNZ);
- Have verbal and written skills, and analytical reasoning skills;
- Demonstrate integrity and trust, ethics and values, resilience, adaptability, and openness;
- Have experience persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising;
- Have computer literacy - can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g. word-processing, excel, internet, email.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
- The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
- Watch some of our team describe why they love the role that they are in and their journey into a career with Verification Services - Click Here
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Wellness benefit for employees including reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes;
- Employee Assistance Programme (counselling support);
- Membership of the NZVA or appropriate alternative;
- Annual payment for the Annual practicing certificate.
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click "APPLY FOR THIS JOB" or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it - click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 11th June 2023.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Louise Devine on our Talent Acquisition Team - Louise.Devine@mpi.govt.nz
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei - Follow MPI here