ANIMAL WELFARE OFFICE
Who we are
The Animal Welfare Office (AWO) functions to support biomedical research activities at the University of Otago - New Zealand's first university. The Office has responsibility for ensuring we maintain the highest international standards pertaining to all aspects of the welfare and ethical treatment of research and teaching animals.
We are seeking a Clinical Veterinarian to support the Animal Welfare Officer with the provision of a high level of animal care and welfare. You will be providing clinical veterinary advice as well as training staff and students on these practices.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Preparing and assisting with the implementation of animal care and use systems and services across the University as and when required.
- Providing veterinary clinical guidance on animal use protocols, and supporting research staff and animal technicians.
- Prescribing veterinary medicines for research and welfare, in compliance with the ACVM act 1997.
- The delivery of clinical training to staff and students.
Your skills and experience
- Registered veterinary qualification with the Veterinary Council of New Zealand.
- Recent clinical experience with small animals.
- Ability to delivery training to academics and students.
- Computer literacy.
Ideally you will also have experience with research and laboratory animals and an interest in research combined with the desire to explore a new discipline. Well rounded communication skills are essential.
All necessary training will be provided.
This is a fixed-term, full-time position for seven months, covering parental leave. Applications for part-time hours are also considered.
Access to a vehicle and a current driver's licence are required.
We offer a competitive remuneration package depending on experience and qualifications plus the opportunity to develop and expand your career by being part of a forward thinking team.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this position.
There is no formal closing date and applications will be considered individually on receipt. The University reserves the right to close this vacancy at any time.
Your application has been successfully submitted.