New Graduate Veterinarian - Mixed Practice - Geraldine based
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Are you a new graduate keen to get some mixed practice experience?
Well that's awesome because we are a practice looking for a new graduate!
Do read on…
Let's face it, as a new grad you are keen to know what we can do for you.
It goes with out saying that we will give you the usual tools to do your job: phone, laptop, vehicle, membership to the NZVA, Vet Council registration.
We love our vets to pursue their passions, so we pay for continuing professional development based on upskilling your knowledge base and improving relevant professional standards. We then like you to let the rest of us know what you have learned.
Over the years we've employed new graduates on a regular basis. We've listened to their feedback and created induction and training systems, learning from feedback and creating an environment that supports you to move from learning about being a vet to really being a vet!
Our current vets are mostly mixed practitioners, though some spend more time with companion animals and some spend more time with dairy, depending on what spins their wheels.
Your workload could include some dairy, and there is an opportunity to have a mix of high country station, sheep/beef/deer, and companion animal work.
Each of clinics has its own superpower and we'll make sure you get to spend the time you need to fill in the gaps in your skillset. We want you to succeed so we can send you out to our lovely clients with confidence!
Sadly, we will need you to be part of the after-hours roster, but even that isn’t too bad when we share it around.
Currently Geraldine and Fairlie after-hours is combined and rostered equally. Staff are on-call one night per fortnight, and the weekends are rostered one in eight. Over the spring, we have a second vet on-call as backup.
Be reassured that we will only put you on-call once we are satisfied that you have achieved the appropriate level of training and confidence.
A bit about us
Our Why is all about our people – staff and clients, and proactively managing their animal’s health and welfare requirements. If your ‘Why’ is the same as ours, we should get along great.
We are a progressive, forward-thinking group of people who are enthusiastic about building strong teams and strong communication to ensure all staff are valued and enjoy their time at work.
This would be made easier with more vets to help, so if you are keen to help please let us know.
The Geraldine branch currently services 80 dairy farms, and this has been steadily increasing each season. We use Infovet to analyse our dairy data. We provide consultancy services, using body condition scoring, Milking Management, and Incalf, leading to better production and reduced on-farm expenses. The Geraldine clinic’s workload is roughly 60% dairy, 25% companion animal and the balance in other large animal species.
The Fairlie clinic mainly services dairy, sheep, beef and deer clients, and small animal clients, while also doing a small amount of equine work. The workload is roughly 40% small animal, and the other 60% split reasonably equally between dairy, sheep, beef, and deer.
We are trying to increase our on-farm presence to the sheep and beef farmers with ongoing contact, animal health plans, and identifying potential visits and product sales that may help increase their production.
The Timaru clinic is BESTPRACTICE® accredited and has a very well-equipped small animal surgery. We currently run two full-time and two part-time companion animal vets at Highfield. Along with the CA vets, Highfield has a large animal vet whose workload is dairy, sheep & beef, and deer. There are also a lot of lifestyle blocks around Timaru, with a variety of animals needing treatment and advice.
Aorangi Vets is owned by Nathan Roberts, Neroli Wall, Glenda Kellahan, Peter Crawford, Sally Duncan, and Aaron McCullough, who are all full-time vets working for the practice.
The company was formed in 1978, so has been ticking along for over 40 years, and is in a sound financial position with a loyal client base. We employ over 40 staff and have a good team, with some staff having been here over 20 years.
Thinking of moving here?
South Canterbury caters to a wide range of leisure and lifestyle opportunities. Mt Cook, National Parks, lakes, and ski fields are on our doorstep.
Geraldine has an excellent community spirit and is a great place for families and young professionals.
Please apply through Seek.
If you would like to talk about the role before applying, please contact
Your application has been successfully submitted.