Guide Dog Mobility Instructor (GDMI)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Blind Low Vision NZ is the leading national provider of vision rehabilitation services for people who are blind, deafblind or have low vision.
Now more than ever, the opportunities are here to make a real difference for people with sight loss, and you’ll help us achieve our vison of empowering New Zealanders who are blind, deafblind or low vision, to live the life they choose. As well as supporting individuals, we seek to make big-picture change by advocating for inclusive communities and for optimal eye care services for all New Zealanders.
We have a rich history stretching back to 1890 and as we continue to connect people with sight loss to expert staff and their peers, we also continue to be one of New Zealand's most trusted and iconic not for profit organisations.
We currently have an opportunity for a full-time Guide Dog Mobility Instructor in Auckland. This position is full time, working 37.5 hours per week.
This position covers several aspects of Guide Dog Services work including training guide dogs and guide dog handlers, providing after care to Guide Dog teams, providing support to the Guide Dog Training Team, and working with Blind Low Vision NZ and community organisations throughout the country.
The successful applicant will be located in Auckland, working from the Manurewa office. Regular travel throughout the North Island and, at times, the rest of New Zealand will be required.
What we are looking for:
- A qualified Guide Dog Mobility Instructor from an organization accredited by the International Guide Dog Federation
- Minimum of two years’ post qualification experience in the guide dog field
- Computer skills and the ability to report fluently via written communication
- Comfort with speaking in public settings
- Strong communication skills
- Physically ability to train dogs and guide dog teams in all types of weather
- Willingness to represent Blind Low Vision NZ in fundraising efforts
- Willing to travel within New Zealand as required
If you believe you have what we are looking for, we would like to hear from you. Please submit a formal application below through our Careers Portal, where you can view the position description. If you have any questions please contact our Recruitment Team email@example.com
Please note that due to current New Zealand border restrictions, temporary visa applications from outside New Zealand or a quarantine-free travel zone are currently suspended.
Applications close 21 May 2021
Your application has been successfully submitted.