Wellington, New Zealand
- Great opportunity to work with a Global Animal Health Organisation
- Exciting Permanent Full-Time opportunity
- Use your passion and understanding of animal care and animals in a supportive team environment
The primary responsibility of the Animal Attendant is to work as part of a team responsible for the care, welfare and productivity of a variety of laboratory animal species. They will be required to perform a range of tasks in the area and contribute to the smooth running of the department to meet breeding and welfare targets.
Tasks may include management of animal breeding, health observation and treatment, documentation and record keeping, animal cage and room cleaning, animal feeding and general husbandry, and other general duties that underpin the operation of the department.
The nature of animal work requires some duties to be performed outside normal work hours and the incumbent will be required to participate in weekend and holiday rosters to support the facility.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
Manages assigned areas in the animal breeding area to meet productivity targets by:
- Organizing and executing the breeding program in accordance with SOPs
- Documenting all breeding activities thoroughly and accurately in accordance with company standards.
- Communicating any breeding area issues to the area supervisor.
- Maintaining breeding database.
- Monitoring animal health.
Supports Animal Technicians by:
- Understanding and interpreting the test schedule to effectively plan daily / weekly tasks.
- Planning and executing animal husbandry schedules in the testing area.
- Maintains a high standard of housekeeping
- Maintains a high standard of stockmanship and health awareness of animals
- Performing daily animal husbandry tasks in accordance with written procedures (including rostered weekend work).
- Performing all duties with a high standard of animal care and in accordance with company standards and the Animal Welfare Act.
- Communicating animal health observations to area Supervisor.
- Using and maintaining Restricted Veterinary Medicines in compliance with company procedures and relevant legislation.
- Completing assigned ALASS training units.
- Maintain all documentation in accordance with Company and relevant quality standards.
- Ensure you adhere to all EHS information, policies, instructions, training and supervision as is necessary to perform your work in a manner that is safe and without significant risk to health or the environment.
WHAT YOU WILL HAVE
- No specific educational experience is required; however, the incumbent will be expected to complete assigned ALASS training units.
- Experience with handling and caring for animals.
- Must be physically fit and capable of prolonged physical activity, capable of lifting and carrying weights of approximately 10 Kg.
- Ability to follow written instructions
- Ability to work accurately
- Good communication skills
- Excellent documentation skills
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- Join a global organisation that prides itself on high integrity, ethics and compliance
- Be based onsite with passionate and collaborative colleagues
- Opportunity to broaden your exposure to supporting animal healthcare manufacturing site within a truly global organisation
Our Animal Health division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to the health and well-being of animals. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society and our planet. We offer one of our industry’s most innovative portfolio of products, services and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species.
Who we are…
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for…
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Your application has been successfully submitted.