Senior Adviser, Animal Welfare Sector Liaison
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Senior Adviser - Animal Welfare Sector Liaison - AIS -Wellington
We are looking for a suitably qualified person to join our team of dedicated high performers working to improve awareness and voluntary compliance with animal welfare standards and legislation.
- Are you a team player, keen to pitch in where necessary?
- Do you have excellent written and spoken communication skills?
- Do you have NZ farming experience?
- Do you have an awareness of the machinery of government?
- Do you have marketing and communications experience?
If you can answer yes to the questions above, we want to hear from you!
Agriculture & Investment Services - MPI
We work with and for those on the land today and in the future. Supporting communities of farmers and growers to achieve their aspirations, and to meet the expectations of customers, government, and the public. And investing in tomorrow's world, as partners to increase primary industries' value and sustainability.
The Agriculture and Investment Services Business Unit works to create a thriving and sustainable future for farmers, growers, primary industries and rural communities, and cares for the health and wellbeing of animals.
Krero mō te tūranga - About the role
The Animal Welfare Sector Liaison team sits in the Animal Health and Welfare Directorate, Agriculture & Investment Services.
This Senior Adviser position is a fulltime office based position in the Wellington CBD.
The role also contributes to the animal welfare in emergency management function for MPI.
This position requires you to actively participate in project work and input into the development of education resources to improve animal welfare regulatory awareness. The team works closely with organisations across the primary industry and other animal welfare agencies. Ideally you will have comms experience. Animal welfare issues are complex, with scientific, ethical, economic, political and social dimensions and it is necessary to be sensitive to all views of interested parties when undertaking this work.
Within this role, your responsibilities would include:
- Provide technical and project support for the animal welfare work programme, as a lead or contributor.
- Develop communications and resources to improve awareness of animal welfare rules across the livestock production supply chain.
- Develop briefings and aide-memoirs for ministers
- Provide support to the major work programmes across the team.
- Leading and contributing to responses to incidents, adverse events and emergencies as required.
This role is based in Wellington.
Mōu - About You:
To be a success in this role, you will need the following skills and experience:
- A strong team ethic, with the ability to work independently or as part of a team
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant subject.
- Experience with animals, preferably in a NZ farming context.
- Broad knowledge of the New Zealand regulatory environment, Animal Welfare Act 1999 and civil defence legislation.
- Some communication and -or marketing experience
- Experience in managing relationships and consultation with an assortment of external stakeholders.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click "APPLY NOW" or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
This Senior Adviser role is banded across Band E and Band D with an indicative salary range of $75,758 - $108,321 depending on skill set and experience.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it - click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Senior Recruitment Adviser Ruth Greening at Ruth.Greening@mpi.govt.nz
Applications close on: Tuesday 27th April 2021
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.