This job is no longer accepting applications.
Welcome to our wild party! At Wellington Zoo we are guided by our kaupapa “Me Tiaki, Kia Ora!” and are committed to a vision of being the Zoo with the biggest heart. We have a strong green furry heart and care about making connections between animals, people and our environment. We punch above our weight in leading the way through connecting people with animals, saving animals in the wild and ensuring we’re a voice to be heard.
About the role-
We currently have an exciting position for a Veterinary Technician to join our team in a permanent position. Reporting to The Nest Te Kōhanga Team Leader, the successful candidate will work closely with The Nest Te Kōhanga team to help deliver an integrated ecohealth approach to veterinary care for our zoo and wildlife species.
The Nest Te Kōhanga treats over 500 native wildlife species per year along with providing healthcare for our treasured zoo animals. You will be a part of a passionate and committed team and have the opportunity to work closely with our conservation partners and engage members of our community on our conservation journey.
The Nest Te Kōhanga also works in partnership with Wildbase, Massey University and provides an integral part of the Wildbase residency programme. This collaborative relationship also delivers specialist veterinary support and training for The Nest Te Kōhanga team.
What we’re looking for in an applicant-
· A current veterinary technologist or diploma qualification, or equivalent qualification and or experience that is recognised in New Zealand
· Minimum 2 years of clinical vet nursing experience
· Demonstrated veterinary nursing experience. Experience with wildlife and exotic animals is an advantage
· The ability to work unsupervised
· A proactive attitude supported by an attention for detail and excellent observational and time management skills
· A good level of PC literacy and familiarity with medical record systems.
· Excellent communication and visitor engagement skills.
What we’re offering as an employer-
· The opportunity to be part of a passionate and committed team that is dedicated to animal welfare, sustainability initiatives, community engagement and conservation outcomes.
· An exciting and varied place to work.
· Five days Conservation Leave per year of employment to work on a conservation project .
· Sick leave entitlement from the start of employment .
· An extra accrued week of annual leave after 5 years continuous service.
· Yearly allocation of Zoo passes and Zoo Close Encounters that can be shared with family and friends.
· Zoo product discounts.
· The ability to walk around and enjoy the Zoo every day.
· Annual flu vaccinations.
For more information about this great opportunity please download the Job Description. To submit your application, click ‘Apply for this job’ to direct you to our application site. To find out more about what we do and what we care about please visit
Applicants for this position should have or be able to attain NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
Applications close end of business Sunday 25 April 2021
For a copy of the Job Description visit JD-Veterinary-Technician-2021.doc
Your application has been successfully submitted.