Oncology Veterinary Nurse
Animal Referral Centre
Auckland, New Zealand
About the business and the role
An exciting new role has become available at the Animal Referral Centre!
Animal Referral Centre (ARC) is a busy, growing, private small animal specialist/emergency practice established in 2016. We are independently owned and operated and have specialists in small animal surgery, diagnostic imaging and internal medicine, as well as a referral Cardiology service and Hydrotherapy unit. We are starting a brand new referral Oncology service in May this year.
We have all the equipment you would expect in a modern veterinary hospital including full in-house laboratory suite with Radiometer, multiparameter patient monitors, digital radiography, ultrasound, endoscopy, mechanical ventilation, on-site CT, and dedicated cat and dog receptions, consulting rooms and wards. We are in the process of fitting out our dedicated Chemotherapy administration room.
Our successful candidate must have a positive attitude, excellent communication skills as well as a passion for oncology case management. A veterinary nursing qualification and least 2 years experience as a veterinary nurse is required.
Why work for ARC?
- Be a part of building a brand new service to help clients and pets navigate the difficult journey of diagnosing and treating cancers
- You will have the opportunity to be part of a progressive and flourishing business, providing the cutting edge in care for cats and dogs
- You will have the opportunity to provide outstanding patient care and use your nursing skills – we expect our nurses to perform triage, place IV catheters, take blood samples, take radiographs, administer chemotherapy etc.
- We have a cohesive, friendly work environment and encourage collaboration between our specialist and emergency teams
- Competitive remuneration is offered as well as a CPD allowance, in-house CPD opportunities and an employee assistance programme.
Job tasks and responsibilities
- General nursing of referral patients, including high-dependency cases
- IV and urinary catheter placement; venipuncture and running of laboratory tests
- Monitoring anaesthesia
- Assisting with medical procedures
- Managing chemotherapy patients
- Assisting with ultrasound, CT and off-site MRI
- Mentoring and training of junior nurses
Skills and experience
The successful candidate will:
- Have at least 2 years experience working as a veterinary nurse
- Hold a Diploma in Veterinary Nursing or Bachelor of Veterinary Technology degree (or overseas equivalent)
- Deliver an exceptionally high standard of patient care
- Be enthusiastic about Oncology
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be reliable and committed
- Be able to demonstrate empathy towards our clients and patients
- Be a team player
Job benefits and perks
- Membership of the NZVNA
- In house continuing education programme
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) allowance
- Paid CPD leave
- Assistance with relocation costs may be available for the right applicant
The application form will include these questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- Have you completed a qualification in veterinary nursing?
- How many years' experience do you have as a veterinary nurse?
Your application has been successfully submitted.