Specialist Advisor - Exports
Ministry of Primary Industries
Wellington, New Zealand
6-month fixed term / secondment
- We have an exciting opportunity for a Specialist Adviser to join the Food and Live Animal Assurance Team for a 6-month fixed term or secondment.
About our team | Mō tō mātou rōpū
The Food and Live Animal Assurance Team is responsible for setting the rules for the export of food and live animals, and for monitoring the system. We're a small team but have a broad, international view. There are many billions of dollars' worth of product flowing through our system, so it's important we get it right, and can provide evidence to show that the system is working.
This position will be focusing on providing proactive exemptions against the new China Dairy Product Standards and improving MPI's exemption process for dairy products.
About the role | Kōrero mō te tūranga
The key responsibilities and functions include:
- Review the new Chinese standards for dairy products to determine what exemptions are needed from New Zealand standards. This will enable exports of product to meet the new Chinese standards
- Consult industry to determine the levels of variation from New Zealand standards that are likely to be required to meet the new Chinese standards.
- Work with other teams in MPI to confirm the safety of the proposed exemptions and obtain internal approval for proposed changes
- Draft, consult, finalise and issue the required changes to the current legal Notice
- Review the process of updating the current Notice to facilitate exemptions for the export of samples and simplify the wording for ease of business
- Consult on, finalise and issue the Notice
- Improve the exemption application form
- Implement Cost Recovery for this work
- Finish and issue associated guidance materials.
You will be fully supported, and your work will be varied and interesting!
Salary range for this role is $109,626 to $128,972 depending on skills and experience.
To find out more about the Ministry for Primary Industries and New Zealand Food Safety, and what we do please click here.
Skills and Experience | Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako
Ideally applicants for this role should have:
- A tertiary qualification in food technology/sciences, microbiology, veterinary science or a related discipline
- 5-10 years relevant technical/professional or government experience
- Knowledge and understanding of the impact of regulation and be able to assess benefits, risks and costs (including compliance costs) associated with export requirements
- Awareness and general understanding of the Food Act and the Animal Products Act
- Experience in policy or development of legal Notices
- Sound relationship management skills
- Ability to think “outside the square”, be innovative and not be constrained by how things have always been done
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Most of all, a can-do attitude!
How to Apply | Me pēhea te tuku tono
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role, you be resident in New Zealand and hold the right to work in New Zealand.
In order to be considered for this role, applicants must be available to interview in Wellington or via Skype.
If you have any questions about the role, you may contact Rosie Slevin for a confidential discussion on 04 894 0908 or Rosie.Slevin@mpi.govt.nz
Applications for this role close on Sunday 28 March 2021.
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.