Veterinarian (Veterinary Technical Supervisor 2)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Veterinarian (Veterinary Technical Supervisor 2) - Timaru
- The Team Manager Establishments for Christchurch is looking for a Veterinarian (Veterinary Technical Supervisor 2 to join the young team in Timaru.
- Timaru is a busy, South Canterbury, port town with which is easy to reach (halfway between Christchurch & Dunedin) and well serviced with education, health and excellent infrastructure
About the role: Kōrero mō te tūranga
The role is based at the MPI site at Silver Fern Farms, Pareora. (ME34). Pareora is about 15 minutes south of Timaru. Timaru boasts a historically beautiful and compact central business district, linked to the beautiful Caroline Bay recreational area.
The working pattern is a 4 x 10hr day roster. There will be at least two days working at the Pareora site with increased days during the bobby calf season including some weekend work.
SFF Paroea is a large processing premises of ovine, bobby calves, deer and cattle. For parts of the year there are two shifts working. The two days at this site would involve one day working day shift and one day working night shift. There will be two other MPI vets based at the premises.
One day will be at Alliance Smithfield (ME17) which is located in Timaru. This is a large, busy two vet premises processing ovine, deer and possible bobby calves. At sometimes of the year the premises work two shifts. The role here is covering a day shift.
One day is currently unassigned outside the bobby calf season and completion of other verifications such as on farm verifications or general reliever duties is expected.
A degree of flexibility is expected, especially during the bobby calf season.
This role would suit a variety of candidates who wish to experience working at different premises with different species. You will be a good team player and will be able to work with different Supervising Veterinarians (VTS1). The veterinarians in this team are experienced and supportive and thus can provide coaching and mentoring support.
Skills & Experience: Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako
- A qualified and registered Veterinarian
- Knowledge of the principles and practices associated with HACCP, Quality Assurance systems, Risk Management Systems
- Verbal and written skills, verbal and analytical reasoning skills
- Integrity and trust, ethics and values, resilience, adaptability and openness
- Persuading and influencing, team work, planning and organising
- Computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g. word-processing, excel, internet, email, database, secure sites, electronic certification, residues etc
- An understanding of basic food technology
- A willingness to embrace the verification services Triple O way of working
If this sounds like you we want to hear from you!
How to Apply: Me pēhea te tuku tono
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae) please “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Rosie Slevin, Recruitment Advisor for a confidential discussion on email Rosie.Slevin@mpi.govt.nz
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks.
Applications close Sunday 28th March 2021
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.