Animal Welfare Kennel Officer
Hastings District Council
Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
Tihei mauri ora!
Nau mai, haere mai, tahuti mai ki Heretaunga!
Heretaunga haukunui, Heretaunga ararau, Heretaunga haaro te kaahu, Heretaunga takoto noa!
Welcome to Heretaunga, the area renowned for its rich and fertile landscape that is sustained by its life-giving dews and waterways. Welcome to Heretaunga, whose beauty is observed by the sharp eye of the harrier hawk; a landscape rich in history and with an esteemed legacy of caring and providing for its inhabitants.
Taitara Mahi – Animal Welfare Kennel Officer
We are looking for an experienced Animal husbandry professional with a commitment and passion in animal control, welfare and enforcement. A confident communicator with a natural affinity for with people and animals.
Hastings District Council’s Animal Control team work across our diverse communities to minimise harm and nuisance from dogs and other animals, and provide essential services such as dog registration and raising public awareness of responsible dog ownership. We have a strong focus on education and quality customer service.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- You will assist in ensuring all animals in the accommodation area are cared for which includes feeding, exercising, and cleaning. With strong communication skills you will be customer focused by way of assisting with adoption, education and building relationships with internal and external stakeholders. You will be releasing dogs to the public, updating systems where appropriate and assisting with vet treatment of animals where required.
- You will need to demonstrate animal handling skills and outstanding customer service as well as strong written and verbal communication skills. . Ideally you will also have previous NZ animal husbandry or vet clinic experience. You will need to be reliable, have a great work ethic and be able to withstand the physical requirements of this role. A full, clean NZ driver's licence is also preferred.
- Working within the Dog Control Act 1996, Council’s Dog Control Bylaws 2016 , Animal Welfare Act 1999, Impounding Act 1955 and HDC policy and procedures to ensure compliance and public safety
What you will bring:
- Demonstrated capability to work with animals and experience in dealing with aggressive dogs. Confidence in handling dogs and stock.
- Hard working with high standards for the environment provided in the Welfare Centre
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office and other software
- A full clean NZ driving licence and the ability to drive a manual vehicle
Situated in the heart of Ngati Kahungunu, the Hastings district and Hawke’s Bay offer an enjoyable environment in which to live, work and play
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Are you keen to be a part of our journey?
Applications close: 28 March 2021
Your application has been successfully submitted.