Animal Services & Compliance Officer
Central Hawke’s Bay District Council
Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
The Central Hawke’s Bay District Council is a Local Authority in the thriving Hawke’s Bay Region, situated in Waipawa approximately 40km south of Hastings. We are committed to providing a safe and great place to work, that values diversity and inclusion, and develops skilled people who can lead our community to thrive.
We are now seeking an Animal Services & Compliance Officer to join our Customer & Community Partnerships Group. Reporting to the Customer Relationships & Experience Manager, this role is accountable for animal and compliance activities within the Central Hawke’s Bay community. This is a full-time role 40 hours per week on a rostered system, which includes on-call and weekend work.
The key accountabilities of the role include:
- Carry out duties as required by the Dog Control Act 1996, the Impounding Act 1955, the Dog Control Bylaws, and applicable policies, legislation, standards, procedures and guidelines including:
- Management of dog registrations and registers
- After hours call-outs including stock and dogs
- Issue of infringement notices (for various areas, including dogs, parking and other areas)
- Educate animal owners on compliance requirements
- Pro-actively provide education to schools and institutions agencies within the community
- Identify other opportunities to communicate and educate the public to improve effectiveness of our work and public safety
- Carry out compliance duties as required by Council policies and bylaws, including (but not limited to): abandoned vehicles, parking infringements and camping.
- Provide an interface with the community in order to readily identify problems and concerns and to ensure that they are addressed.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Technically capable
- The ability to work alone and work confidently with animals in difficult situations
- The ability to navigate unclear situations to find suitable solutions and focus on continuous improvement
- Friendly, composed, patient and resilient nature with outstanding communication and customer service skills
- The ability to negotiate with customers in a respectful, yet assertive manner
- Sound time management skills and the ability to accurately record and interpret data
- Strong relationship management skills
- A current Driver’s License
To be successful in this role, you will also need to share the Council’s THRIVE values and its commitment to customer excellence and smarter thinking.
With a thriving district and strong connected community, Central Hawke’s Bay is in a period of exciting growth and development. With some of the best beaches, fishing and diving spots, water sports, cycling, family friendly places and events, and so much more, there are plenty of great reasons to live and work in Central Hawke’s Bay.
If this role sound like you, apply in confidence with your CV and cover letter.
Applications for this role will close 19 March 2021.
The application form will include these questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Do you have a current New Zealand driver's licence?
Your application has been successfully submitted.