This job is no longer accepting applications.
Experienced veterinary surgeon who wants to live the good life
We are a well-established, progressive small animal practice in the heart of NZ’s sunshine capital, Nelson. We are looking for an experienced surgeon with a strong background in orthopaedic surgery, but the workload also includes consulting, general surgery and dentals. We offer a great work/life balance with fantastic lifestyle opportunities!
YOU SHOULD BRING THE FOLLOWING:
- Surgical skills. You are a positive, forward-focused small animal surgeon who holds a post-grad qualification ideally in surgery. You should be able to perform TPLOs and advanced fracture repairs with confidence. Skills in ultrasound and endoscopy would be a huge bonus!
- General veterinary skills. You are able to provide a very high level of day-to-day care in general practice. Outstanding standards of hospital care for inpatients are very important to us so if you love to nerd out on pain relief advances, chill protocols or behavioural enrichment initiatives, then this is the place for you.
- Team skills. You want to play a proactive role in the team and form bonds with both team members and clients.
- Work eligibility. You must be eligible to practice in New Zealand, if you are from overseas we are happy to help with the visa process.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING:
- Work/life balance. Our vet roster currently involves a 4-day week, 1 in 10 nights on call and 1 in 4 weekends (Saturday and Sunday). We are happy to introduce the right person to the on-call roster gradually while they ease into the job and you will receive 2 days off to compensate for weekends worked (1 in week leading up and 1 in the week following). Hours are negotiable and could be anywhere between 20 to 40 hours rostered per week.
- Supportive, collegial environment. We really are a great team and enjoy learning from and supporting each other. We play to our strengths and help each other upskill. We look forward and focus on where we can go next with our clinical offering so that we know our patients are getting the absolute best.
- Generous remuneration and CPD allowance. The practice covers your annual NZVA registration fees and we even offer a clothing allowance so you can look your best in the consulting room.
- Early partnership option for the right candidate. Our fantastic owner is determined to keep the practice independent and would love to ‘keep it in the family’.
- Modern, well-equipped facility. We regularly receive medical, surgical, behavioural, dermatological and imaging referrals from surrounding practices. CT and MRI are available at a private facility just 400m away.
- Accredited to NZVA BESTPRACTICE Hospital Standards. The first in New Zealand and one of just two at this high level.
Often voted NZ’s most liveable city, Nelson is an absolutely stellar location for those who enjoy life in the outdoors – beaches, rivers, fishing, mountain biking, trail running and hiking in the Abel Tasman are all but moments away. We take our work/life balance seriously and thus are looking for a team member who would value a 4-day week so that they may enjoy all the region has to offer during their time off.
Another thing we take seriously is being a family-focused employer – we enjoy getting to know all partners, kids, pets and are well used to welcoming our team’s family members into the practice on a regular basis, be it to hang out and drink Milo before wandering mere minutes to school (kids) or to join in on staff drinks (partners!).
Our independent status ensures that we have the freedom to expand our clinical and customer services however we may see fit and we encourage all team members to pursue personal goals which will enrich them as individuals as well as the practice.
We are extremely proud of our incredible team of super nurses, all of whom are more than proficient on a practical and administrative level, taking the pressure off the vets in more ways that you could shake a stick at. We’re talking bloods, catheter placement, behavioural consults, puppy and kitten consults, massage, blood donor organisation and collection, surgical assistance – they are a well-oiled and well managed team who thrive on being closely involved in our varied, stimulating and challenging caseload.
Many employees have been with the clinic for over 10 years and quite a few for over 20. We value people.
Your application has been successfully submitted.