Animal Care Team Leader - Feline
Contract: Permanent, Full time
Hours of Work: Tuesday - Saturday 8am-4pm (37.5 hours per week)
Location: SPCA Christchurch Centre
About the role:
To act as a key member of the Animal Care Team, providing specialist animal welfare knowledge and guidance as appropriate. To support the Centre Manager as required and by ensuring the efficient and effective operation of the Animal Attendant team and that Centre standards are maintained. To participate in recruitment and oversee, train and mentor all animal attendant staff with their operational daily duties, training and continuing development.
This is a busy role, where no two days will be the same, the successful candidate will need to be self-motivated, technologically savvy, energetic, passionate about providing positive welfare outcomes for animals and show a high level of initiative.
What we can offer you
· Make an actual difference for New Zealand’s animals
· Work with highly passionate people
· Onsite parking
What we need from you
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A Certificate in Animal Care or equivalent is required
- Qualifications or relevant experience in the animal care/welfare industry
- Previous staff leadership experience is desired and/or the potential to develop staff leadership skills to a high competency level.
- 2+ years’ experience in handling companion animals, preferably in a shelter environment.
- Experience in Animal drug administration would be an advantage
- A sound understanding of animal behaviour – normal v abnormal
- Confidence in handling companion animals displaying a range of temperaments
- An understanding of Contagious and Zoonotic diseases is desirable
- Ability to work effectively without supervision and effectively prioritise daily tasks.
- Ability to receive and give appropriate effective advice, input and feedback.
- A commitment to high quality work and professionalism.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – communicate effectively with customers, volunteers and other employees.
- Demonstrated strengths in accuracy, precision and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as to work alone.
- Ability to manage confidential information with responsibility and integrity.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability (will include flexibility of hours)
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise, multi task and meet expected deadlines
- Ability to manage stress and handle emotional situations while retaining empathy
- Is professional and works collaboratively with all members of staff, including Volunteers.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and work in the field which requires physical fitness
Who we are:
SPCA is one of the best loved and most respected charities in New Zealand, with a proud history of helping animals in need and advocating for animal welfare since 1872. To find out more about us, go here https://www.spca.nz/what-we-do.
Does this sound like the ideal role for you? If you match the above criteria, please apply now! Applications without a cover letter stating why you feel you are suited to this role, will NOT be considered.
Applications close: 15/09/2021
Your application has been successfully submitted.