Dog Enrichment Handler
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Waglands, Wellingtons Living Wage Ultimate Dog Daycare and Boarding facility, is looking for a team player with amazing attitude to become a Canine Enrichment Handler with us.
Are we ordinary? NO BARKING WAY!
Waglands has aimed at taking everything about DayCare and Boarding, and re-writing it in our own unique way. We understand pets to be members of the family. We believe that pets should be cared for in the very best environment with the very best people, with space and small group recreation to thrive.
About the position
A Canine Enrichment Handler at Waglands is a busy, fun and rewarding position, responsible for the enrichment, socialisation and overall Health, Happiness and Safety of our guests.
Our people are responsible for positive management of dogs participating in enrichment activities, and ensuring the safety of each playgroup. Other responsibilities will include cleaning dogs accommodation and playgrounds, feeding, administering medications, completing health checks, bathing dogs, doing laundry, cleaning and maintaining the facility, and assisting others where necessary.
Success in this position requires substantial patience, calm demeanour, solid command of dogs in groups, and a real interest in understanding the behaviour of dogs. Canine Enrichment Handers are vital to providing the safe care of pets and must be extremely attentive, responsible, and patient.
Ideal candidates meet the following requirements:
- Must regard safety and security as an absolute highest priority
- Must have excellent attitude and communications skills
- Have a basic understanding of positive dog training reinforcement methods
- Have a valid driver’s license and own transportation (we are far from public transport routes)
- Technology literacy – we have highly evolved online systems
- You must have flexible availability - we have shifts every day of the year, some starting as early as 7am, and others finishing as late as 7pm, including Weekends, Public Holidays and School Holidays)
- Professional positive dog handling or training experience, while not necessarily required, is very desirable
- Self-motivated, independent worker who can work within a strong team environment
- Proven ability to follow instructions and learn new things
- Ability to adapt to new evolutions - we keep improving what we do for the benefit of our guests
- The physicality to thrive in an indoor/outdoor, all weather, exciting and busy environment
- Demonstrated flexibility and proven coping skills
- Lifting and carrying up to 20kgs
- Manual Dexterity
- Ability to stand, walk, and bend throughout a long shift.
It is a permanent role. Guaranteed minimum workload is 63 hours per fortnight including working every 2nd weekend, with additional shifts available on our busier days and leave cover. We have a standard fortnightly roster with additional shifts added for the team to cover as extra days. Our shift lengths are generally 9.5 hours.
Qualified candidates may be asked to demonstrate basic knowledge and use of positive reinforcement-based training techniques during the interview process, as well as participate in fun group or panel-based interviews.
- One-on-one focussed training and buddy system
- Support from many documented procedures and systems, accessible via tablets and PC.
- “The Dog Gurus” online module-based program for upskilling dog-care professionals
- "PackPro" - Creating confidence and capable dog daycare professional with dog group management skills
Remuneration & Benefits:
- A minimum of the 2020/21 Living Wage, growth from there depends on expanding experience and capability in the role
- Individual recognition program rewarding great work within our team earns you vouchers of your choice
- Industry-best training systems available to give you depth within and beyond Waglands
- Bring your social dog to work and plenty of benefits for them.
- Review our website www.waglands.co.nz [link removed], YouTube [link removed] videos and Facebook page to gain an understanding of us.
- Ensure your glowing covering letter (with a CV) will convince us that you are the best person to look after our guests. HINT – a well written and personalised letter about yourself and why you would like this position means a lot more to us than a CV. Applications without this introduction will not be considered.
- Apply online using the https://apply.workable.com/waglands/j/0EEB3354C8/apply/ [link removed]
- link to complete our application process
- Don't delay your application - the role will close as soon as we meet the right person.
Please do not:
- Apply via Trade me, Seek, Email or Facebook: the Workable website allows us to structure more detailed information and helps us manage the many applications we receive.
- Come up personally to Waglands – we are pre-occupied with our guests, customers, team and facilities. The unplanned interruption really doesn’t favour your application.
Apply for this job
Your application has been successfully submitted.