Senior Biosecurity Advisor
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The New Zealand dairy industry is renowned the world over with passionate, proud people working towards a common goal - the success of the industry, and with it, the success of our country.
New Zealand’s dairy industry is facing unique challenges in the biosecurity space. Here’s your chance to make a real difference with a role instrumental in influencing and driving change for the greater good. We are looking for a talented Senior Biosecurity Advisor to play a key part in providing evidence-based strategic policy and technical solutions that enable dairy farming to work for all New Zealanders, as well as building excellent partnerships.
This role supports the Biosecurity Manager and wider DairyNZ with your experience in scientifically robust research, policy and technical analysis to influence national biosecurity policy, best practice biosecurity risk assessment and management practices, and readiness and response arrangements (as the subject matter expert/”go to”).
This role will work with key New Zealand government and partner organisations on biosecurity policy issues impacting on dairy farming. A key focus of this role will be to contribute technical expertise to strategy and policy developments in biosecurity and disease management, animal traceability, and on-farm biosecurity practices. As a source of relevant, accurate facts, you’ll provide evidence-based, strategic policy and technical input to various consultations with stakeholders and policy makers in New Zealand. The role will also include liaising with farmers and industry stakeholders and contributing to researching and writing technical policy papers/submissions on dairy-related issues.
This role can be based at either Wellington or Hamilton locations, however flexibility around location may be considered for the right candidate. Travel within New Zealand can also be expected with this varied and interesting work.
- Provide scientifically robust, expert, technical and policy advice to DairyNZ and dairy industry across a range of priority biosecurity issues identified, in line with the DairyNZ Biosecurity strategy.
- Be a trusted and respected contributor to, and influencer of, national and regional debates around biosecurity risk assessment and risk management.
- Bring a strategic understanding to technical issues and how they are best tackled and apply this to determining the best way for the dairy industry to respond.
- Proactively monitor projects against milestones and deliverables and evaluate project outcomes.
- Demonstrate a high level of understanding of farm systems, farmer needs and policy systems relative to biosecurity risk assessment/management frameworks and in developing solutions to biosecurity issues.
- Identify key industry stakeholders/influencers and proactively develop and manage strong enduring relationships to drive and influence decision making around biosecurity, traceability, risk assessment, risk management and enable delivery of consistent messages.
To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate applied technical, policy and analytical skills while building enduring relationships to support positive change for our dairy farmers. A strong working knowledge of the New Zealand dairy farming industry as well as experience within a policy/regulatory environment are considered important skills.
A tactful communicator, you’ll be confident in working with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, have strong presentation and written skills and be quick to grasp new challenges. Gaining the trust and credibility of those you work closely with, you’ll be articulate in saying what needs to be said at the right time in the right manner.
If you are ready to make a real difference, work in a technically challenging and diverse environment, and work within a supportive and passionate team, we invite your application today.
Applications close: 15 August 2021, 11:55pm
Your application has been successfully submitted.