Veterinarian - Shelter Medicine
Hours of work: 32 hours per week(negotiable), 4 day working week, rotating roster. All shifts are 8.00am-5.00pm, except the occasional emergency to manage. 1 in 4 weekends
Location: SPCA Wellington Centre, Mt Victoria
Are you looking for a change from private practice? Do you like the idea of helping animals that are most in need and making an impact on animal welfare? A chance to refine your routine surgical procedures, learn about shelter medicine and work with a passionate and supportive team?
We are currently seeking a New Zealand qualified Veterinarian to join the team at our on-site SPCA Veterinary Clinic.
The role gets you interacting with multiple teams at the centre including the animal welfare inspectorate team and the animal adoptions teams. We strive to achieve good inter-team relations to create a welcome environment for open discussions on cases to ensure the best treatment plans for our animals.
We also support other centres in the lower North Island, accepting weekly transfers of interesting cases to help manage animal flow of the other centres.
What we can offer you
o An amazing opportunity to use your clinical skills in a shelter environment and make a difference to New Zealand’s animals
o A workplace that provides excellent treatment protocols, strict hygiene standards and Fear Free handling
o A highly experienced, friendly & passionate team of veterinary nurses and support staff, and many morning teas to keep us together
o The chance to make autonomous decisions on your cases without client pressure
o Normal business hours and regular breaks
o A hygienic, well laid out vet wing that is equipped with:
- A surgical theatre with two operating tables, as well as a non-sterile area to perform non-sterile surgeries and dentals
- Separate cat and dog hospital care areas, a quarantine cat area for new arrivals and a cat isolation area for infectious diseases
- VetScan Zoetis in-house lab diagnostic suite
- High speed dental equipment, ultrasound and a digital x-ray unit
o Generous CPD benefits
o Attractive salary to work for the leading animal charity in New Zealand
o Additional day of leave for your birthday, and
o Onsite free parking
Our ideal candidate will:
• Be a NZ registered Veterinarian, with current professional registration
• Work well within a team
• Clinical experience and surgical skills are useful
- we are unable to accept new graduates at this time, due to recently accepting the equivalent of a new graduate
• Confidence in handling a wide variety of animals – we see many un-socialised cats and wildlife
- if you do not have prior experience, you would be able to learn on the job
• Prioritising and effectively managing workload is essential through the busy periods
• Familiarity and versatility with computer systems
• A flexible candidate that works well in an environment that changes every day, and passionate about both people and animals
Experience or understanding of shelter medicine is preferred, but not essential
A sound understanding of, and empathy with, the goals and values of the SPCA
SPCA is one of the best loved and most respected charities in New Zealand, with a proud history of helping animals in need and advocating for animal welfare since 1872. To find out more about us, go here https://www.spca.nz/what-we-do.
If you match the above criteria, please apply now! Please include a cover letter explaining why you would like to work for the SPCA and what you can bring to our organisation.
For a copy of the Job Description visit Vet---Wellington---PD.docx