Senior Stallion Hand
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Excellent opportunity to enjoy a long-term career with a leading New Zealand thoroughbred stud. Join a friendly and cohesive team where achieving excellence is our passion. Be rewarded for your expertise and effort.
The position is for an experienced senior stallion hand.
Applicants should have at least 3 years’ experience specifically working with thoroughbred stallions. They must possess the skills and knowledge to keep all people and animals safe in multiple different situations. This is imperative to uphold Mapperley Studs health and safety procedures in direct relation to stallion handling.
The position description is designed to give an indication of the type of work and performance expected of a Senior Stallion Hand. It does not provide an entire list of activities or performance standards and the Senior Stallion Hand agrees to undertake any other tasks that are consistent with the position.
- Managing Director
- Bloodstock Manager
- Broodmare Manager
- Business Development Manager
- All other Stud Staff
- Clients and prospective clients
- Industry colleagues and contractors
The successful applicant will be working very closely with the three stallions at Mapperley Stud, the key responsibilities and out comes required of the role are:
- Turning out stallions to their day paddocks and bringing them in at night
- Ensuring the stallion area is kept in pristine condition
- Grooming stallions ready for parades and parading them in front of clients, ensuring the safety of the stallions and clients at this time.
- Continually monitoring the condition of the stallions and working closely with the Stud Manager on their feeding programmes.
- Serving with the stallions in the breeding shed with a small, committed team covering mares while ensuring the safety of the horses and staff at this very hazardous time.
- Working with the reproduction team during the breeding season
- Teasing mares with the teaser stallions, upholding Mapperley’s safety procedures during this time.
- Bringing mares through the crush ensuring all staff, horses and the veterinarian are constantly safe.
- Administering treatment and medications to horses. Must be completely confident with IM, IV and oral administration.
- Maintaining records and documentation relating to horse treatments and activities
- Regular assessment of all horse health and needs, and ensuring that these needs are met.
Applicants must also have the following attributes:
- Excellent time management skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Effective communication skills
- Passionate, enthusiastic, patient and motivated to learn
- Ability to work well in both a team and independently
Excellent remuneration package available for experienced candidates along with on farm accommodation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.