Animal Attendant - Canine
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Contract: Permanent, Part Time
Hours of work: 16hrs per week between the hours of 8am - 5pm rotating shifts Monday- Sunday with the ability to cover extra shifts as required.
Location: SPCA Centre Mangere (primarily) & Hobsonville
About the role
We are seeking candidates with excellent people skills and a passion for animal welfare as the SPCA has a part time position available as a team member of our very busy Canine teams.
It will include weekends & public holidays, therefore flexibility in regard to days and hours of work is a must. The position will be busy, exciting, challenging and you would be working with like minded people who get the opportunity to make a difference every day.
Duties will include:
· Dealing with enquiries regarding adoption of dogs in person, via phone or website
· Co coordinating and working with volunteers and the canine team with an aim to improve animal pathways through the village and volunteer experience
· Monitoring animal health, behaviour and administering medication
· Enhancing opportunities for socialisation, enrichment and behaviour modification for the dogs in the shelter
· Working with other departments to ensure the canine area is functioning well and goals are being achieved
· Assist with the Doggy Daycare at Hobsonville,
What we can offer you
· Make an actual difference for New Zealand’s animals
· Work with highly passionate people
· Onsite parking
What we need from you
Our ideal Candidate will:
· Have practical animal-handling experience and knowledge, in particular canine experience, and experience in behaviour and training
· Have applicable tertiary qualification e.g. animal care, animal welfare, canine training and behaviour would be preferable
· Have excellent communication and customer service skills, with the ability to handle conflict situations and a friendly and positive attitude.
· Have previous experience working in a similar role
· Have practical animal-handling experience and knowledge.
· Have a flexible approach to the hours of work, and be able to prioritise and effectively manage workloads.
· Have excellent computer skills.
· Demonstrate empathy and resilience
· Have the ability to work in a fast paced environment and must have a love for working with both people and animals.
· Active, physically able to cope with the rigor of the job
· Full, current New Zealand driver’s licence
Who we are
SPCA is one of the best loved and most respected charities in New Zealand, with a proud history of helping animals in need and advocating for animal welfare since 1872.
Does this sound like the ideal role for you? If you match the above criteria, please apply now! To find out more about us, go here https://www.spca.nz/what-we-do
Applications without a cover letter stating why you feel you are suited to this role, will NOT be considered.
Applications close Wednesday 14th July 2021
Your application has been successfully submitted.