Animal Research Technician
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Role and Opportunity (Parental Leave Cover)
The Food Functionality – Wellbeing/Health/Nutrition Team is focussed on foods to which the human body is exposed upon ingestion, to identify the components associated with improved resilience. As part of this team, the Technician will be responsible for for data collection and recording across a range of studies. They will also provide high quality analyses and reporting as part of the various research projects they are involved in. This role requires someone who has the work experience to demonstrate an ability to independently conduct technical duties, including planning, data collection and analysis and reporting of results. The work involves animal handing, feeding of specific diets, sampling from animals and recording information. Generally required to obtain approval from a supervisory role before modifying agreed activities whilst having responsibility for implementing approved project plans.
What You will be Doing
- Carry out animal handing, feeding of specific diets, sampling from animals
- Collects, documents and reports on data and research information as directed.
- Works to well established testing routines given by verbal or written procedures.
- Performs a variety of routine tasks under supervision, which provide experience and familiarisation with methods, practices, and programmes.
- Use scientific methodologies for all research, including literature searching; hypothesis-based experimental design and statistical analysis; and follows rigorous development and documentation procedures for research protocols.
- Assembles materials and sets up experiments within set timeframes.
- Conducts tests in an efficient and accurate manner to ensure results are produced for analysis and reporting.
- Applies established research practices and methods and repeats tests using new techniques or technology as set by the Supervisor/Project Leader.
- Works flexibly to accommodate experiments that may require tasks to be carried out outside normal working hours (e,g weekends)
Your Ideal Background
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant science discipline
- At least 2 years’ experience in animal handing for research
- Experience in rodent and piglet handling and research
- Experience working with mice and rats, including taking blood samples
- Experience with the safe use of chemicals and laboratory H&S practices
- Proficient user of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong knowledge and experience following rigourous development and documentation procedures for research protocols
- A clear understanding of the principles behind intellectual property
AgResearch provide a diverse range of benefits including flexible working options that help our staff balance their own lifestyle and needs with their work commitments. You can view the full list here: http://www.agresearchcareers.co.nz/working-here/our-benefits/
How to Apply
If this sounds like you, apply today on the link below with a covering letter and CV detailing why you feel you would be suitable for this position.
For a confidential discussion contact Julie Dalziel at email@example.com or on +6463518098
Applications close: Wednesday 30th June 2021
Your application has been successfully submitted.