Dog Care Specialist - Breeding Centre
Blind Low Vision NZ is the leading national provider of vision rehabilitation services for people who are blind, deafblind or have low vision.
Now more than ever, the opportunities are here to make a real difference for people with sight loss, and you’ll help us achieve our vison of empowering New Zealanders who are blind, deafblind or low vision, to live the life they choose. As well as supporting individuals, we seek to make big-picture change by advocating for inclusive communities and for optimal eye care services for all New Zealanders.
We have a rich history stretching back to 1890 and as we continue to connect people with sight loss to expert employees and their peers, we also continue to be one of New Zealand's most trusted and iconic not for profit organisations.
About the role
We are currently seeking enthusiastic and motivated individual’s to join our team of Dog Care Specialists, on a casual basis. You will be assisting across the Breeding and Development Centre assisting with day to day care of the dogs and puppies – Tasks will include cleaning and ensuring a hygienic environment, basic health checking, feeding and walking of the dogs, enrichment, socialisation, dog behaviour, supporting the team, and more.
Both day and night time shifts are available, 7 days per week. As a casual team member there are no set days or hours, and therefore, the ability to be flexible is essential.
In this role your duties will include the following:
- To provide cover across the Breeding and Development Centre as required.
- To ensure all puppies and dogs are prepared to their full guide dog potential. Key focus of general development, training, health, welfare and temperament.
- Uphold the highest standards of physical and temperamental wellbeing for all assigned dogs.
- Maintain all established protocols and procedures across both the Breeding and Development Centre
What we are looking for:
Our Ideal Candidate will have experience with dogs and an animal care or veterinary nursing qualification would be an advantage. We are looking for someone with the following:
- Flexibility, often at short notice including over weekends and public holidays
- The ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- An exceptional work ethic
- Attention to detail
- The ability to stay calm under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Full drivers licence
Applications close: 24 August 2023
Please note that this advertisement may close sooner if suitable candidate found