Ranger-Animal and Birds
We are looking for a Park Ranger to take care of the birds and animals in The Reserve. Someone who has completed some studies involving animal husbandry would be ideal for this position.
Good verbal and written communication skills are essential.
You will need to be available to work one day in the weekend as well as school and public holidays.
Staglands is located in the beautiful Akatarawa Valley, 20 minutes by car from Upper Hutt, therefore good reliable transport is a must.
The role involves:
- Feeding and cleaning of the animals and enclosures
- All aspects of animal and bird husbandry and welfare issues
- Moving stock as required
- Maintaining animal records
- Grooming enclosures and other areas to ensure they are neat and tidy for our visitors
- Basic maintenance including using equipment such as leaf blower, lawn mower, chain saw etc
- Ensuring all our customers are wowed by their experience at the park
You will need to demonstrate:
- An interest in wildlife and conservation
- Good eye for detail and observation skills
- An understanding of the importance of good time management
- Experience and understanding of all aspects of animal husbandry
- Knowledge of animal welfare issues and current industry best practice
- A stable work record ie minimum of 2 years with one employer
- Good attitude towards your work colleagues and workplace
- Understanding of the importance of health and safety in the workplace
- Ability to follow workplace procedures and paperwork as required
This position is primarily working with the animals and birds to ensure they are getting the best care possible at Staglands but you are also likely to be doing some gardening and park presentation work.
This is a physical job. There is lifting involved and a good level of fitness is essential. You must be able to prove you can work outside in all weathers and dig deep when the going gets tough.
You will be regularly interacting with our customers so you must have a personable manner and enjoy working with people. Your ability to communicate with a wide range of people will be critical to your success at Staglands.
Part of your job will involve Tractor Trailer Rides so tractor experience would be an advantage, but training can be given to someone with the right attitude. Awareness of the importance of adhering to safety procedures is essential.
You will need NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa plus a full NZ driver’s license. Anyone looking for short term work need not apply.
If you think this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
Please email a covering letter outlining why you are perfect for the role plus your CV with two referees to email@example.com.